You probably don’t think much about gravity, but it’s around us all day long. Drop your laptop on your foot and you’ll quickly experience the reality of its unseen power.
There’s another unseen power that’s also around us all the time – namely, God. Thinking of God and realizing His presence during the busyness of our days, is hard for us ‘earth-bound’ souls. Like gravity, many of us go through long stretches without many focused thoughts toward God.
I am in this mode some days.
But first….do you really believe that God is with you and that He dwells in you?
- The Bible plainly states in Matthew 28:20 that “I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
- Joshua 1:9 goes further to say, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
- Even more personal in Revelations 3:20 Jesus says, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.” (emphasis added)
If you believe He dwells with you and in you, how does this reality play out in your daily life as a Christian?
If He is with us then I think we should consider two things…..and both start with pausing our life.
- First, I think we have to pause periodically and acknowledge His presence in our lives and in our spirits….His presence where ever we go. So, try it. Stop, as in, literally – STOP – all thought of our “minds” and acknowledge Him.
- You might just say, “God, I acknowledge You are here! I may not be able to see you, but I can’t see gravity either – I believe You are here with me. Thank you for the promise and reality of Your presence.”
- Second, I think we must pause and seek His heart and nudging for whatever situation we are in. God what do you want for this situation….if you are with me, please guide me now:
- Before a meeting.
- Before a phone call.
- Before a pivotal conversation with a child or friend.
- Before you buy a car.
- Before a questionable FaceBook post.
- Before you change our major at college.
- Before you decide on vacation plans.
- Before you (or I!) write a blog or email someone.
The “shiny pennies” we are attracted to along life’s road easily occupy our attention. They draw us away from the reality of God in our lives. They attempt to, and often succeed at, smothering His “still quiet voice”. Satan’s main goal with Christians, as a friend recently reminded me, is to keep us distracted….not thinking of God, but of the busy world swirling around us.
In Luke 10:40 Jesus dines at Martha and Mary’s house, yet Martha was running around focused on the details, not on “the one thing”, Jesus.
But Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen. Later, she stepped in, interrupting them. “Master, don’t you care that my sister has abandoned the kitchen to me? Tell her to lend me a hand.”
Jesus says to Martha, “One thing only is essential, and Mary has chosen it—it’s the main course, and won’t be taken from her.”
Being this kind of person is impossible for us to do in our own strength and willpower….to “get there” we must rely on the power of God’s Holy Spirit….we must simply pause and turn to Him. Ask Him today to enrich, nourish, grow, prosper and tenderize your soul toward Him, so you can rest in the awesome habit of acknowledging Him and pausing to seek His heart for whatever situation in which you find yourself.